Dr.V.Umashankar completed his PhD. from School of Genomics, Dept. of Zoology, Loyola College, University of Madras, Chennai in 2008; M.Phil Genetics from Dr.ALMPGIBMS, University of Madras in 2000; Qualified SLET. He did his PG Diploma in Bioinformatics from University of Mysore in 2003; S-Star Certification in Bioinformatics awarded by National University of Singapore in 2004.He has 18 years of experience in Research &mentoring in Bioinformatics. He also served HOD & Principal Scientist, Centre for Bioinformatics, Vision Research Foundation, a unit of SankaraNethralaya(2010-2020). He also held positions as Academic Head, Research consultant, Senior Research Analyst in leading Research and Academic Organizations. Dr.Umashankar is a recipient of RGYI (Rapid Grant for Young Investigators) grant awarded by DBT (for Anti-toxoplasmosis Drug Development) and Early Career Research Award from SERB-DST (for Drug target mining and Systems Biology studies towards targeting ocular Chlamydial Infections) and also served as Investigator in many of the funded grants from ICMR, CSIR, DST and DBT.
He has published 90 Research papers (Patents Filed=2) in peer reviewed International and national journals and has also written three chapters on Molecular modeling, Cheminformatics and Computational Epigenomics for a book published by John Wiley & Sons (H-Index-18). He is also a reviewer for many of the leading peer reviewed journals like PLOS One,Bioinformatics (OUP), Human Molecular Genetics, GENE and RSC Advances etc.(Associate editor in BMC Bioinformatics). 'Theoretical model of human ghrelin precursor' (PDB ID: 1p7x) predicted by him is printed and cited on the coverpage of 77th volume of the prestigious book ‘Vitamins and Hormones’ first published in 1943, and is the longest-running serial book published by Elsevier Academic/Press.He has delivered many lectures at various National and International conferences as an invited speaker. He is the author of Bioinformatics tools & Databases namely, POAP,PepVis,KinomeRun, ACUA, OpenDiscovery, Nitrosoft, Readmol and Indian Plant Anticancer Compound Database (InpacDB), respectively. Many of these tools are used by scientists worldwide and are cited in peer-reviewed journals. Currently involved in the development of Drug discovery computational pipelines to cater traditional medicine research. Membership: American Chemical Society, Indian Bioinformatics Society, Board of studies: Madras University,SASTRA University
Top Five publications in reputed and peer reviewed journals
1. John, Arun, et al. "Microsecond simulation of the proteoglycan-like region of carbonic anhydrase IX and design of chemical inhibitors targeting pH homeostasis in cancer cells." , American Chemical Society, ACS omega 5.8 (2020): 4270-4281.
2. Amit, Chatterjee, et al. "Designing and enhancing the antifungal activity of corneal specific cell penetrating peptide using gelatin hydrogel delivery system." International journal of nanomedicine 14 (2019): 605.
3. Sadhasivam, Anupriya, and UmashankarVetrivel. "Identification of potential drugs targeting L, L‐diaminopimelate aminotransferase of Chlamydia trachomatis: An integrative pharmacoinformatics approach." Journal of cellular biochemistry 120.2 (2019): 2271-2288.
4. Ansar, Samdani, and UmashankarVetrivel. "PepVis: An integrated peptide virtual screening pipeline for ensemble and flexible docking protocols." Chemical Biology & Drug Design 94.6 (2019): 2041-2050.
5. Muthukumaran, Sivashanmugam, et al. "Insights on ornithine decarboxylase silencing as a potential strategy for targeting retinoblastoma." Biomedicine & Pharmacotherapy 98 (2018): 23-28.
For complete publications click here